Thursday, October 21, 2010

Depth of Field



I tend to use a shallow depth of field (DOP) alot in my work. I believe it creates quite a beautiful image. Shallow DOP removes alot of unnecessary information in the background throwing a selective focus on the subject you are capturing. With a shallow DOP it turns the image cinematic and leave just enough information for the viewer to understand what is in the scene.




Shallow DOP can also enhance mood in the photograph. It can make figures in your images very ominous looking and provide a great narrative. Besides the ability to throw selective focus, your lens is wide open needing a faster shutter giving you the ability to shoot under low light condition. The photography above of my cousins utilized natural window light with my lens wide open @ 2.8.

I believe that there is a time and place for a shallow DOP and if used correctly with a purposeful intent it can render striking images with amazing narrative content

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...